Monday, March 03, 2008

A Woman Scorned




Under a cloudless, crystal clear sky, I had the distinct honor and pleasure to be at the christening of the New York (LPD 21) on 1 March, at Ingalls Shipyard outside New Orleans, LA. Her bow was made with 15,000 pounds of steel salvaged from Ground Zero. She is specifically tasked with fighting terrorism, and can carry various configurations of Special Ops forces, as well as her normal compliment of 800 Marines and their landing equipment. As soon as I saw her berthed dockside, festooned with signal pennants, I involuntarily held my breath and my heart began pounding. Being a soldier, I had never completely understood how my brothers and sisters in the Department of the Navy could get so attached to what I perceived as an inanimate object. I can assure you that New York is no inanimate object. She is the living embodiment of the sacrifice and courage exhibited by so many on 9/11.

There were, literally, thousands of people in attendance at the christening. The crowd ran the gamut from Department of Defense personnel, to sailors from the WWII battleship who shares the name New York, to ship builders, to veteran's organizations, to an assortment of New Yorkers. Amongst the New Yorkers were several 9/11 survivors and a half dozen firemen from FDNY. All the fire-fighters were at the WTC on 9/11, and I can tell you that watching them be so moved by the ship will stay with me forever. I sat next to a 23 year old Lt. Junior Grade, who is shepherding New York through her various stages of construction. His warmth, good humor and desire to answer questions made the experience more personal somehow. Before the formal ceremony of speakers, a short film was shown. It documented New York's ship builders meeting with 9/11 survivors at Ground Zero before her keel was laid. I can tell you that as the film rolled there was not a dry eye in the house, and later, when the National Anthem was performed, every spine was a little straighter and every salute was a little crisper.

I defy anyone to tell the firefighter pictured with me that the War on Terror is not worth fighting, and, yes, that includes the Al Qaeda magnet, Iraq. He, and the six men with him, were all at Ground Zero on 9/11. They witnessed terrorism close up and did not blink. These men, on both 9/11 and this past Saturday, exhibited everything that is best about the United States and Americans. New York is a stark reminder of 9/11 and she made me proud to be an American. It was as perfect a day as can be had
and I look forward to seeing New York commissioned next year in the harbor that bears her name. The saying goes that Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, and, with the motto of "Never Forget" New York will undoubtedly exact our revenge. Fair winds and following seas New York. May you get some vengeance for us all.

No comments: