Friday, September 01, 2006

What Would the Duke Do?

Death of a President is a movie scheduled to debut on September 10, 2006 at the Toronto Film festival. It depicts, in documentary style, the assassination of President George W. Bush, and the ramifications for the United States afterwards. Calls to ban the movie have rung out pillar to post before the movie has even been seen. Apparently, President Bush's face is digitally imposed on an actor in such a way as to be nearly seamless. This has, understandably, caused outrage in certain corners, and, more disturbingly, glee in others. I will not go see the movie, but not for the reasons you might think. I also do not want the movie banned, though I consider its subject matter more than reprehensible given the times in which we live. In my view no movie should ever depict a sitting president in any light which detracts from the office, and that includes former President Clinton being characterized poorly in Primary Colors.

Okay, by now my right wing credentials are probably being called into question. The times in which we live require blind adherence to the party flag, or else you risk excommunication. We are told by the powers that be that we must suit up in our respective jerseys and take one for the team. Well, I have never been much for blind allegiance, and this case is no exception. I put this movie in the same category as the proposed flag burning amendment. I was against the amendment. I did not soldier on as an infantryman to have outrageous speech limited. Quite the opposite. I carried a rucksack and rifle to defend the right of Americans to say anything which does not cause actual harm to others. After all, it is outrageous speech which needs protecting, not it's more civilized cousin.

That said, though I respect the right, as Senator John Kerry put it, for "Americans to act like idiots," I do not condone burning the flag for which so many good men have died. I am uncertain exactly how I would respond were I to witness some moron burning the flag on an American street. You can be assured that I would behave badly, uncivilized even. I think there is a better than average chance that I would behave violently. I like to think that I am an evolved human being, a bit older and wiser than the young man who carried the weapon in defense of the country. When it comes down to it though, I am still the kid who joined the Army (that's right the evil republicans did not draft me). I am still the kid that believes in truth, justice and the American way; even if I have always thought of Superman as too much the Boy Scout. I am still the same kid who believed that there are right things and wrong things, and not that much grey. John Wayne and Lou Gehrig are still heroes of mine; as is Flannery Lewis. None of them would have burned a flag, nor brooked the nonsense of witnessing one burned.

All of which leads me back to D.O.A.P. I am not against edgy, artsy movies. I enjoy them to the point where most people I know make fun of me for it. In fact, I went to see Brokeback Mountain, then reviewed it on this blog. I am against D.O.A.P. for the same reason I would not like to witness a flag burning; I am uncertain how I would react. But wait, you say. It is nothing more than a movie. What can a movie do to you? Well, I am certain that in movie houses in some of the bluer regions of the country the scene of the assassination will be met with hoots, hollers and probably applause. That is not only repugnant to me. It truly hurts my heart. It is simply more than I can bear. You can rest assured that I would, more likely than not, resort to violence. I would revert to that hot-headed, Irish kid, from one of the rougher neighborhoods of New Orleans, who only sees through the prism of the black and white world of Sunday afternoon John Wayne movies.

So, with a heavy heart I will not join the chorus calling for an outright ban of what I consider a despicable act of film-making, but I will hope that this will rally us all, left and right, to recognize that no matter what else we are, we are all Americans. Our cause is just. Our cause is good. It is who we are, as a people, and I hope that somehow this helps to bring us together. It is time for us to tell the world that Americans are independent minded. Our political differences are our business. This is a family affair and everyone else should mind their own business as we get on doing that which needs to be done to safeguard our rights. That means, as an aging infantryman, I will ask everyone to please stop the bickering. Put aside your petty differences and come together in the face of a fight for survival. Don't burn a flag. Don't go see this movie, and, oh yeah, cross the street to thank that soldier, marine, sailor or airman for his, or her service. It will only take you a minute and they will carry it with them all day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Some say forgiving is Divine--but now-a-days it's almost essential unless we want to live in fear and anger. There are some absolutely free programs (subliminal and hypnosis) available from Eldon Taylor's site at www.innertalk.com/ They helped me.